Re: BBN Peering issues

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Thu Aug 13 21:09:21 1998

On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 11:18:14AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, John Butler wrote:
>
> > This statement is deluded to say the least. BBN peers with most other
> > major backbone providers, and they have one of the fastest, most
> > reliable networks in the world. Say Ms. Hancock ends up buying transit
> > from Digex or UUnet. Under most current hot-potato routing schemes, that
> > carrier will drop the packet at the closest BBN peering point, and the
>
> But...do Above.net and Exodus.net actually buy transit from anyone, or are
> they each large enough that they just connect to the various NAPs and have
> free peering with all the other major networks?  If they don't buy transit
> from any other backbone, and lose peering with BBN, what path will packets
> between BBN and either of the two above take?

None.

And when BBN customers call Exodus customers to ask why they can't get
through,  I hope Exodus has informed them (before that happens) why and what
they should do with their BBN contracts.

(hint: paper shredders make wonderful confetti).

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV