RE: Q:Why router with ATM interface comes out earlier than pure SONET interface?

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Mon Aug 03 19:42:15 1998

> > And if a service provider uses fundamentally different technologies and
> > approaches to solving the problem of the customers in an
> attempt to generate
> > revenue, the service provider better be running similiar
> technology (like
> > the customer).  Otherwise it'll hardly be efficient.
>
> all that matters is $$$ or ($$$)

That's what I meant.

> Could you please define what you mean by connectionless?

IP is a connectionless transport.  ATM is connection-oriented.

> > We usually assume 25% cell shredder tax on ATM vs. POS.  At
> OC-48, you'll be
> > blowing an OC-12 in framing.  Seems like an awful waste of
> bandwidth to me.
> >
> Only if you are paying for it :).

?  If I use ATM, I am paying for it.. No?  Anyone giving away ATM spigots?

--
Christian Kuhtz, BellSouth Corp., Sr. Network Architect  <[email protected]>
1100 Ashwood Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30338                        <[email protected]>