Re: Warrants for email and backup tapes

  • From: Christian Nielsen
  • Date: Tue Jul 28 20:08:51 1998

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Steven J. Sobol wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 10:24:31PM +0000, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> > Our ISP was just served a warrant (out of California) demanding our
> > dialup logs and email backup tapes.  So far, the warrant is probably
> > invalid, as it mis-named the company.  And as far as we can tell, we are
> > not being charged with anything -- or at least we have not been told so.
> > We only have our usual contracts attorney, and he seems a bit out of his
> > depth.
>
> I think it is unreasonable to demand copies of email, although it is not
> unreasonable to demand copies of logs. I can't believe you're being served
> with a warrant with no explanation of why, though. Are you sure it's a
> *warrant*? Are you sure it's not a subpoena for a court case?

I am not an attorney... but, if it is a Grand Jury Subpoena, they usually
can't tell you much about it anyways. You just have to give them the info that
they are requesting. or... Why don't you just pick up the phone and call the
person that issued it. They, most of the time, will be very helpful and let you
know what is needed etc...

Christian