Re: Warrants for email and backup tapes

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Tue Jul 28 19:36:35 1998

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 10:24:31PM +0000, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Our ISP was just served a warrant (out of California) demanding our
> dialup logs and email backup tapes.  So far, the warrant is probably
> invalid, as it mis-named the company.  And as far as we can tell, we are
> not being charged with anything -- or at least we have not been told so.
> We only have our usual contracts attorney, and he seems a bit out of his
> depth.

I think it is unreasonable to demand copies of email, although it is not
unreasonable to demand copies of logs. I can't believe you're being served
with a warrant with no explanation of why, though. Are you sure it's a
*warrant*? Are you sure it's not a subpoena for a court case?

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,