Re: Smurf Prevention

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Mon Jul 13 10:59:45 1998

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Richard Thomas wrote:

> HOW HARD CAN IT BE to take care of 500 broadcasts? Very hard, since the only
> bcasts still left are those with broken contact information and upstreams
> who haven't been informed or who don't give a damn. Maybe if we all picked
> 10 of the worst offenders every day, picked up the phone, and started
> informing people who have missed the boat...

I'm still quite fond of blackholing entities which are completely
irresponsible, though for the larger carriers this wouldn't be much of a
threat.  But after having tried to track down smurfers, I'm wondering if
anyone has ever actually done it.  I would think you would have to either
get in touch with a smurf amplifier or their upstream to track the DoS,
but how successful has anyone been in doing so?  I would think that
since smurfs have been popular amongst the script kiddies for so long
that all the entities that are easy to get in touch with have already
heard from victims and hopefully fixed the situation.  Also, I wonder if
there is any way to hold the amplifiers legally responsible for smurfs
that use their networks after being given repeated notice?

Joe Shaw - [email protected]
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services