Re: Process management

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Jul 10 05:03:29 1998

Perhaps it might be helpful to read how some folks on the outside
view the state of the Internet industry.

http://www.ncs.gov/n5_hp/Information_Assurance/PSN-A97.htm

Just for grins the President's National Security Telecommunications
Advisory Comittee has established a working group on Internet outages.
You all did get your invitiations, didn't you?

http://www.ncs.gov/n5_hp/Information_Assurance/IO.htm

A person asked my how I define 'tiny tykes.'  Let me ask a hypothetical
question.  Do you think I could get 100 ISPs to sign up for this?

Each contribute $25,000/annually to establish a out-of-band communication
system between all the participating network operation centers.  This
may simply be a 'bat' phone with a really obnoxious ringer in the middle
of their NOC connected via nationwide system which doesn't rely on IP, ATM,
or SS7 to enable the NOCs coordinate/communicate when everything else
goes to hell.  In a previous life I knew this as a 'squawk box' which
traders used worldwide.

There have already been cases (plural, more than one) where you could
not reach a provider's NOC because they obtained their 1-800 service
from the same network provider supplying their network facilities, and
the same event took out both.