Re: Host for NANOG 14 & modified NANOG Business Model (fwd)

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Tue Jun 30 18:17:29 1998

On Tue, Jun 30, 1998 at 04:53:14PM -0500, James Rishaw wrote:
> Jared Mauch wrote:
> > 	The one thing you're probally forgetting is hotel costs.
> >
> > 	Rent enough space in a hotel to fit 500 people in.
>
> Not that expensive.. especially when you tell them most of these 500 people
> will be renting rooms there.
>
> > 	You can't bring outside food into there, you need to use
> > the hotel food.  (Or you can, but not in large quantities), unless
> > you're going to bus everyone somewhere else.
>
> You can.  Just gotta negotiate :)
>
> > 	I'd be interested in seeing the numbers also, but not in a
> > "where the hell are you spending my money" sort of fashion.  these
> > things have costs, how many hotel people were there to be our slaves?
> > quite a few.
>
> OK, 15 slaves @ $10/hr * 16 hours (2x8) = $2400, or $4.80 per attendee.
>
> 50 slaves @ $10/hr * 16 hours = $16.00 per attendee.  That's one personal
> assistant for every 10 people. :)

I agree with Jamie.

Having negotiated fairly significant conventions before (low-thousands of
people) with hotels, and having done several seminars and such at the same
kind of venues, this isn't that difficult to do.

$250/person (not including accomodations) is outrageous unless there's money
being siphoned off or silly things are being done.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV