running summary on caching

  • From: Jeremy Porter
  • Date: Tue Jun 30 06:17:25 1998

Here is my running summary of this debate, with only mild editorizing:
>From:    [email protected] (Alan Hannan)

  I believe DIGEX should be congratulated on their forward exploration
  of technology.  Their creative solutions to problems like this are the
  spirit that will sustain the Internet.

  DWDM and huge fiber builds will get us part of the way to handling
  internet growth, but we need to find ways to utilize upper-layer
  tweaks to do more with less.

---
>From:    andrew khoo <[email protected]>

more aggressive caching techniques would necessitate that the tags be
ignored anyway, and the "dynamic" content would still be cached. expires
etc are only useful if the caching box decides to honour them.

some of the content providers in the US would turn over in their graves if
they knew what people who pay heaps more $$$ for traffic are doing to
their web sites :). we have done some funky stuff with content (read:
caching of dynamic pages, even .asps, "tokenized" HTML, dropping realaudio
UDP etc etc etc).

---  (I'm stilling waiting for the first successful copyright lawsuit
in Australia because the cache isn't honoring expire headers or modifying
the data)

>From:    "Sean M. Doran" <[email protected]>
Let them turn.  The easy fix for them is to duplicate their
content elsewhere in the world, so they can control it themselves,
and reduce the need for caching by operators like you.

        Sean.

>From:    Paul Vixie <[email protected]>
And I wanted to give one thing Sean said more air time so folks won't just
gloss over it:

> That is, a cache which imposes decent long-haul TCP behaviour
> reduces the number of packets which are delivered all the way
> from the web server to the terminal server but tail-dropped there
> rather than being delivered to the end user.

This is rather important, both because the stacks used in last-mile devices
(such as the Microsoft Program Loader) are not very modern, and because HTTP
persistent connections end up not being very helpful until they are aggregated
across multiple last-mile devices.
---
>From:    Patrick McManus <[email protected]>
In a previous episode Michael Dillon said...

:: [...] Caching is a temporary hack that provides some limited
:: benefit at the moment but the need for it is fading except in areas that
:: are a couple of years behind in bandwidth deployment.

I can't believe you said that.

Heirarchical caching reduces latency and increases availability _in
addition to_ conserving bandwidth. Those (particularly the second)
will remain critically important features no matter if you're traversing
a 512k line or OC48...

---
>From:    Pushpendra Mohta <[email protected]>

No amount of capacity upgrades will obviate the need for an intelligent
architecture for content distribution on the net. Utilization will
explode to consume all bandwidth available and in the absence of an
elegant architecture will do so rather wastefully.

Most sites on the web are currently misdeployed/incorrectly-located
on the network. Techniques that prevents unwarranted replication
of data and bring the content to the user rather than the user to
the content will bring about more efficient use of bandwidth while
increasing performance for all users. These need to be complemented
with techniques to address the concerns of other constituents, like
marketeers.

--pushpendra
---
>From:    Jon Lewis <[email protected]>

Actually, I thought I was the loud one complaining.  I'm not a Digex
competitor either...I'm the Digex customer that started this thread.
---  (Your comments did not compare in volume or tone to some made by
Digex's competitors, it would seem a good number of people felt you have
a reasonable complaint about notfication but were to polite to rummage
through Digex's dirty laundry in this forum.)

>From:    John Fraizer <[email protected]>

Horse-hockey.  Purchasing the proper amount of bandwidth from your upstream
and your upstream implementing the facilities to deliver that bandwidth is
what is necessary to scale the internet into the future.  Over-allocation
is bad enough on the dialup-ISP side of the equation without backbone
providers doing the same thing.  If your backbone provider doesn't have the
capacity to deliver what they have sole to you, it's time to contact two
entities: Your lawyer and another backbone provider.

---  (Question:  what off the shelf technology goes beyond DWDM OC192?  Second
Question:  When will that bandwidth be needed?)
>From:    Pete Farmer <[email protected]>

As a customer, I don't give a hoot for belief systems and opinions on
where things 'ought' to be.  Don't talk to me about 'unethical,' talk to
me about better ways to solve my business problem.

---
>From:    "Sean M. Doran" <[email protected]>

Yes, and I am sure they fully realize that the loudest
noises have been made by DIGEX's *competitors* complaining
about DIGEX's customer-notification or service change,
and consume a large block of salt.

        Sean.
---
>From:    "Patrick W. Gilmore" <[email protected]>

And before anyone goes off once again about how great caching is, I will
once again publicly state that I am not at all opposed to caching - even
forced caching of customers.  It's your network, do as you please.

---(comments relating the the business pratices of Digex and its relations
with its customers are not Operational issues and  have been deleted.  They
might explain why everyone is bashing Patrick)

>From:    Karl Denninger  <[email protected]>
I have no problem with a proxy where the user has agreed to its use.

I have a major problem with a provider hijacking a stream of data and
reprocessing it, then delivering what the client *thinks* is a direct
communication session.

In fact, I'm not even sure that such an act, absent consent, is legal.
--- (This is my favorite, Karl makes all assumptions here about jurisdiction,
contracts between two parties, etc.  Karl is a competitor of Digex also.
I still have this funny image of the Chicago policy showing up in
Copenhagen, Denmark, to arrest a Canadian.)

Karl Denninger writes:
>(performance for the FIRST fetch through a proxy
>is SLOWER - it HAS TO BE, since the proxy must first get the data before it
>can pass it on).

It doesn't have to -- think cut-thru switching.  I've no idea if
any/enough of the proxies do this.
--- (they do, and Karl should have known better)

>From:    Hank Nussbacher  <[email protected]>

For the past 4 years, AS378 has blocked port 80 (all academic network of 8
universities and many colleges) and forced all users thru multiple proxy
servers (most recently Squid). Over the years we had to build up a list
of sites to bypass.  But in addition, one has to provide the ability to
bypass based on source IP address (some users just don't want it - even if
it speeds up their page downloads and toasts their bread at the same
time.)

--- (In the US people don't pay extra for un filtered access because it
is so cheap.  Probably don't want caching because they don't want people
to know what type of porn they are downloading.  (And don't understand
that tcpdump could still monitor them.)  So in New Zeeland, Australia, or
other places where they pay extra for not going through the cache, its ok
to do this, but in the US where the cost is carried by the provider its
WRONG.  Oh ok, end users have a common law right to dictate the technology
used to deliver services to them.  I'll remember that when I buy my
next car without an emissions control system, because I have the fundemental
right to pollute.))

>From:    Karl Denninger  <[email protected]>
See, that's the problem.

Proxies are fine WHERE CUSTOMERS HAVE AGREED TO THEIR USE.

STEALING someone's packet flow to force it through a proxy is NOT fine.

---  (This same arguement could be apply to Ip deliver as specified
in RFC 1149 "Standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian carriers."
Data is data if the transparency is working correctly, the data
delivered is identical and delivered faster.  The streams aren't
being taken anywhere.  This is like arguing that echo cancelers can't
be used on satilite communications because it breaks some types of
transmissions, but helps the majory of customers, and it does in fact
modify the STREAM.)

So it seems:
Against transparent proxying:
Karl D.
Against Digex transparent proxing:
Patrick G.
Upset about the problems with transparency not working:
Jon L.
Against transparency (for operational reasons even!)
Mike O'Dell
Thinks that bandwidth grows on trees:
John F
Pro hiarcheial caching, even transparency:
Pushpendra M
Hank N
Patrick M
Paul V
Sean Doran
andrew k
Alan H
Paul G
Rich S
Lamenting the lack of a Digex NOC to report transparency problems to:
Randy B

---

All well.  I'd guess that content providers had better start working
with cache vendors to make things work right, as I would guess a good
bit of the content is going to go through caches, if you like it or
not and everyone is going to be better off with it.

There should be a real good flame war when people role out CoS/Voice over IP/
RSVP to exist next to best effort delivery.  (My contract with
provider X clearly implies that my traffic should be treated with
equal priority to all other traffic on the network, therefore
you are in breach of contract for offering higher priorities
than best effort, oh and BTW you are doing unlawful wiretapping because
you are classifying traffic by type which means looking past the
IP address in the header.)

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      [email protected]
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net