RE: backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

  • From: Pete Farmer
  • Date: Mon Jun 29 20:20:38 1998

On Monday, June 29, 1998 John Fraizer
[mailto:[email protected]] wrote:

>Backbone providers are here to provide unhindered
>connection to the internet for their clients.

Is that necessarily what the customer is after, or is that a polemic?

<customer_view> I think my backbone provider is there to provide me with
access to Internet content, delivering the mix of throughput, latency,
and price that's right for me.  And I can see where caching *might*
allow a service provider to better meet my needs. </customer_view>

>Hijacking your clients, their clients, etc connections
>and shoving them through a proxy cache to save money is
>unethical.
>
>Transparent proxys have one place.  On the CLIENT side of the
connection.

As a customer, I don't give a hoot for belief systems and opinions on
where things 'ought' to be.  Don't talk to me about 'unethical,' talk to
me about better ways to solve my business problem.

Pete
Peter J. Farmer                    E-mail: [email protected]
Strategies Unlimited               Voice:  +1 650 941 3438
201 San Antonio Circle, Suite 205  Fax:    +1 650 941 5120
Mountain View, CA 94040            WWW:    http://www.strategies-u.com