Filtering Unregistered Blocks (WAS: small vent)

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Jun 29 15:09:47 1998

At 12:45 PM 6/28/98 PDT, Dave Rand wrote:

>This has, in fact, happened before.  One of the reasons that the unallocated
>spaces are listed on the RBL.

This topic comes up every now and then.  I've searched the ARIN site and
found some very outdated lists (some as old as 1996, but none newer than
Feb, 1998).  I've searched the archives, but no one seems to have an answer
- except you.  How do you tell what is and what is not allocated?

Perhaps you could export just the non-assigned blocks in the RBL?  Maybe
under a second AS or something?  I have no problem with the RBL myself, but
some of my customers want a "full table", and won't take an RBL filtered
one.  I do, however, filter blocks which should not be routed - e.g RFC
1918 - and would like to include the non-assigned blocks.  I just can't
figure out a way to automate such a process.  Especially since the whois
servers limit the number of queries.  (I'm not complaining, I understand
the reasons, I'm just stating a fact.)

And, of course, if anyone else has a possible way to find out which blocks
are and are not assigned, I would appreciate it.  Personally, I would
*love* to see such a list created, say, once a day by the proper
registries, so filters can be updated in a timely, automated fashion.  But
that's just me. :)

>Dave Rand

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations, CCIE #2983        fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
              "Tomorrow's Performance.... Today"