Re: Digex transparent proxying

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sun Jun 28 13:53:50 1998

At 08:16 AM 6/28/98 -0400, Rich Sena wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>
>> How, pray tell, are they maximizing their distro and what? They way I
>> understand it, they proxy-cache digex has set up optimizes for html, but
>> screws everything else. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
>
>Hmmm - you're wrong... the only traffic that would be diverted to this
>cache is port 80 - if they are using an alteon switch then the alteon
>makes a decision to redirect port 80 traffic ONLY to the port that the
>cache is connected to.

Thank you. So if I provide my links on a different port then I by-pass the
proxy, cute. However, many of my customers have some ferocious firewalls
that only allow port 80. Of course those machines are running their apache
somewhere else. But, I use port 80 to run an SSH tunnel to them.

>> FYI, 80 to 90 percent of our served traffic is SSH encrypted, or SSL with
>> nil TTLs.
>
>Differnt port...
>
>> Caching is fine for non-transient data. I have yet to see either an SSL or
>> SSH stream meet these requirements. With privacy issues coming to the
>> fore-front, a transient domain is much more likely to encounter these types
>> of streams.
>
>Not effected...
>

>--
>I am nothing if not net-Q! - [email protected]

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!