Re: Digex transparent proxying

  • From: Rich Sena
  • Date: Sun Jun 28 13:24:25 1998

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> How, pray tell, are they maximizing their distro and what? They way I
> understand it, they proxy-cache digex has set up optimizes for html, but
> screws everything else. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Hmmm - you're wrong... the only traffic that would be diverted to this
cache is port 80 - if they are using an alteon switch then the alteon
makes a decision to redirect port 80 traffic ONLY to the port that the
cache is connected to.

> FYI, 80 to 90 percent of our served traffic is SSH encrypted, or SSL with
> nil TTLs.

Differnt port...

> Caching is fine for non-transient data. I have yet to see either an SSL or
> SSH stream meet these requirements. With privacy issues coming to the
> fore-front, a transient domain is much more likely to encounter these types
> of streams.

Not effected...

--
I am nothing if not net-Q! - [email protected]