RE: Digex transparent proxying

  • From: Derek Elder
  • Date: Sat Jun 27 19:05:38 1998

This seems like more of a marketing issue than an operational issue.  I see
transparent proxying as another product offering in which you would have two
options.

Option 1 -- Utilize transparent proxying by applying policy based routing.
This causes the backbone providers to use less bandwidth, so customers cost
is reduced (i.e., highest cost is the backbone, so apply a discount for less
bandwidth use).  If contracts prior to the placement of the proxy are in
place, the customer would have to provide explicit approval (and realize a
reduced cost) before this policy would be applied.

Option 2 -- Apply no policy to the end users connection.  This is typically
what "in place" contracts had in mind.  If I agree to pay you $xxxx.xx/month
for a connection before the cache was put in place, I should still receive
that connection unaltered.

BTW, I am in favor of transparent proxying...but not if I don't control it.
;)

D.

Derek Elder
US Web / Gray Peak Technologies