Re: small vent

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Sat Jun 27 14:52:51 1998

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Brian Wallingford wrote:

> David R. Conrad wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > One reason might be that clueless folk in the US that complain to APNIC or
> > RIPE (or NANOG) directly instead of looking stuff up in the appropriate
> > whois database ("ARIN has all the IP information, right?") and complaining
> > to the people who can actually do something about the problem.
>
> Keep in mind that some of these "clueless folk" may expect individually
> assigned CIDRs to be registered accurately, and are complaing to the
> registered contact for the block.  If these blocks aren't
> registered/SWIPed appropriately, your argument is weak.

Wrong.  Most people (clueless or not) only know of Internic and therefore
do not look at Ripe or Apnic.  Even when it says in the Internic (now
Arin) entry to look at whois.ripe.net for proper delegation, they ignore
it since it is one line and not prominent.  ARIN refuses to add comments
last time I requested.  The end result is I get about a dozen spam
complaints a week from users who are simply complaining to the wrong
person.

Hank Nussbacher