Re: backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

  • From: David S. Holub
  • Date: Fri Jun 26 11:56:58 1998

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Rich Sena wrote:

> The Vixie Interceptor is really the only product on the market that
> handles this particualr situation correctly - it is a fine product in that
> respect. Paul and his group - worked thorugh that issue with very fine
> detail.

Yet Rich, in the end all our production experience taught that if you
error on the side of correctness even with extensive depth, contrary to
many an assertion, using client side caching has limitations that exceed
many customers expectations for how much bandwidth can be avoided.
Particularly those who see it as relatively cheap.

The good news for the marketing folk is that Inktomi and Cisco are going
to have a much slower uptake on that point.

--david