Re: backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Fri Jun 26 02:01:37 1998

At 04:11 PM 6/25/98 -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
>Has anyone else noticed Digex playing with transparent proxying on their
>backbone?  We have one of our T1's through them, and found that all web
>traffic going out our Digex connection goes through a proxy.  We've got
>customers with web sites that are broken now because they can't
>communicate with things like Cybercash, because their outgoing http
>requests are hijacked and sent through a Digex web cache.
>
>Digex wants us to register each web server out on the rest of the
>internet that hosts from our network need to talk directly to.  This looks
>like the beginning of a big PITA.

Sounds more like time to change Internet vendors. You've now told me whom I
DON'T want to do business with. Yeah, I know renumbering's a bitch. I just
went through it myself.

>I wouldn't have a problem with Digex setting up some web caches and
>encouraging customers to setup their own caches and have them talk to the
>Digex ones via ICP...but caching everything without our knowledge/consent
>stinks.

Yeah, it tells you when to change vendors.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!