Re: RBL Update (Re: Lets go vixie!! rbl)

  • From: Brian Wallingford
  • Date: Fri Jun 19 00:24:15 1998

> Now you're looking for someone who is spamblocking IN TRANSIT (ie: not to
> or from an end customer).
>
> How would THAT come about, pray tell?  Do you know how modern SMTP based
> email actually *works*?

The rest of your argument notwithstanding, it could come about if you
block certain CIDR blocks at your borders based on repeated and/or
unresolved spam activity from a given source.  I.e, blocking *all* ip
traffic for a given block at your borders, then transiting customers,
who may be transiting other customers, etc. lends credence to that
theory.

I can't comment on the (il)legality of such, though I'd fight any court
which challenged my right to filter, even arbitrarily, at my own
borders.  None of my service contracts guarantee universal connectivity.

Cheers,
Brian
--

Brian Wallingford