Re: Smurf Amp Nets

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu Jun 18 01:20:29 1998

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Richard Thomas wrote:

> Might want to add a delay considering the amount of bandwidth they will be receiving if they tried to send out all those probes at once. In a previous message it was stated that a probe uses 4x64bytes, plus amplification by the broadcasts. I just took the SAR offline for about 4 minutes while trying running a SMALL portion of my bcasts through your script on my 28.8k modem, and it didn't even come close to completing that portion. That fact aside you won't get very accurate results if the SAR is so flooded it can't receive the replies. I would suggest they use ping
> -s 1 or -s 8 if the timing information is desired.

I've inserted a sleep(5); just after the system() line.  That should help
a bit...and it doesn't really matter how long registration takes if it's
automated and logging output to a file for later examination.

 Jon Lewis <[email protected]>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.