Re: Government scrutiny is headed our way

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Wed Jun 17 19:40:45 1998

> If you see harm, prosecute it. Anything and everything
> that one person can do that harms another, even spam and
> smurf denial-of-service, is already illegal. What it
> requires is not waiting for someone else to solve your
> problems for you, it requires people to take charge of
> their own lives.

I think we agree here. I understand your earlier point; if the NOCs at
the major NSP's are uncooperative, then e-mailing them isn't going to
help much.

> > IOW - I agree with Karl.
>
> Or maybe not. Email has its limitations.

Perhaps after one or two occasions where the NOC refuses to help
we could sic a couple lawyers on 'em. Perhaps, since we're talking about
a legal issue here, certified mail saying "you're an accessory to a DoS
attack" (or at least "You're aiding and abetting") may work better than
e-mail.

Thank you, you helped me focus a little better...

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,