Re: RBL Update (Re: Lets go vixie!! rbl)

  • From: Dean Anderson
  • Date: Wed Jun 17 19:23:57 1998

>If 2511 were relevant to spam, then Wallace Stanford would be a
>millionaire today instead of having his ass in a sling.

No, Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of civil penalties.  And his
contract for service was terminated, which is legal. [that has been one of
my points: you have to disconnect *your* customer if you don't like whats
coming out of their pipe. You can't smugly pretend your router doesn't work
and you can't pretend that spam is an DOS attack if its not.].

Anyway, there hasn't been any evidence that Wallace was ever blocked by
anyone who was not a party to his email.  AOL, Compuserve, etc are parties
to their users email: their contracts give them permission. Sprint (for a
madeup example) would not be a party to a spam traveling from Wallaces AGIS
connection, over Sprint, to MCI, to AOL.  As far as I can tell, Sprint
never blocked him, nor did anyone else in their position.

But the statute of limitations hasn't expired. If someone would like to
admit to blocking him, when they weren't a lawful party to the
communications, please contact me.

Vix and I have been in agreement that we need a test case.  I volunteered
to try and find such evidence last year, but I can't. What I've found is
that ***no major NSP's block spammers***, or least none actually admit to
doing so. One that boasted of such filtering on Nanog last winter, backed
down on providing evidence of blocking, and I couldn't find any without
some cooperation from them, from my remote point.

If you are an NSP, and you are blocking a spammer from transiting your
network, where you have no relationship with the parties to the email (the
sender or the recipient), and you and your attorney are completely
convinced of the legality of your actions, then tell me who you are
blocking. And we'll have our test case.

It claimed that 2511
	Only applies to telephone/voice communications
	Doesn't apply to email
	etc.

Each of these has been shown to be wrong.  There isn't anything left to debate.

If you are really doing what you claim you can, then someone should provide
some evidence.

		--Dean

           Plain Aviation, Inc                  [email protected]
           LAN/WAN/UNIX/NT/TCPIP/DCE      http://www.av8.com
           We Make IT Fly!                (617)242-3091 x246