Re: Government scrutiny is headed our way

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Tue Jun 16 19:02:54 1998

On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 06:33:14AM -0400, Richard Thomas wrote:
> [...]

Well, we do it one better - we black-hole the network.

I just added another ~60 prefixes to the list after another persistent smurf
attack.  I've given up trying to trace them myself (although we do report
it) because the big networks, where this originates, are unwilling to help
in a timely fashion.

If people bitch about the connectivity  loss, well tough shit.  Better
to have a working network that can get to 99.5% of the Internet than a
completely trashed one with full visibility.

I'm going to have to talk to our lawyers about whether or not we could *sue*
the amplifier networks.  Most of them are truly large organizations (ie:
universities, big corporations, big national providers, etc) and could easily
pay such a judgement.

Heh, now there's an idea :-)

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV