Re: smurf amp nets, the registry (SAR)

  • From: Paul Mansfield
  • Date: Tue Jun 16 04:46:31 1998

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Oystein Homelien wrote:
> the prefix length is wrong, but in other cases i am at a loss - the hosts
> in the probed network actually seems to return more than one response per
> request.  I have no idea why.  We saw this with the 193.55.112.0/24
> network, for instance (which has now been fixed).

this could be because
a) there could be a 10.0 internal LAN remapped into a normal IP space?

b) on some versions of unix, when you open /dev/icmp, you will receive ALL
ICMP activity received by the machine, so if your application doesn't look
too closely at the pongs (response to a ping :-), it might see response to
other pings occurring

Paul
----
P Mansfield, Senior SysAdmin PSINet, +44-1223-577577x2611/577611 fax:577600
:r~/humour/signature
:wq