Re: True Cost of Firewalling

  • From: Bruce Potter
  • Date: Sat Jun 13 01:42:12 1998

Howdy,
As for cisco's, I don't have any references per se, altho any cisco rep
will be glad to tell you how fast cisco products are. ;)

For Solaris (sparc), HP-UX, and NT (Intel) Checkpoint Software as done
some testing with their Firewall-1 product.  The results are at:

http://www.checkpoint.com/products/technology/perf_data.html

Also, FreeBSD, they've done their own testing, and the results are at:

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ166.html#166

Note that both of these tests were run on machines running firewalling
software, so the results may be slightly less than just straight packet
forwarding, but I don't imagine by much.

Hasta

Ben Kirkpatrick wrote:

>    Has anyone done a good comparison recently of the packet
> forwarding speeds of suns and ciscos?  Sure it seems easier
> to front-end a sun and use it as a firewall, but how well
> can a sun forward ip?
>
> Thanks,

Bruce Potter					Fort Nocs, Inc.
[email protected]				www.fortnocs.com