Re: So... what's the best routing solution for..

  • From: mike cullerton
  • Date: Fri Jun 12 15:12:50 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Steve Sobol wrote:

> ... a small operation with a few computers (maybe three or four servers
> plus a handful of other computers)...
>
> ... that is not multihomed, and in fact will just be running an Ethernet
> link down to the ISP downstairs...
>
> ...that is too small to get an ASN and therefore can't do BGP...
>
> Do I go with gated or something similar, or try to pick up a cheap used
> router... because I am going to be in this situation within the next
> couple months.
>
> Suggestions?

steve,

   my favorite solution for this kind of thing is a dos program called
iproute, a $50 shareware program. it'll do filtering (ala access lists),
syslog, and nat. it can run on a 286 and fits on a floppy. just stick two
ethernet cards in an old used computer and edit the config file. it's
actually pretty cool.

   i've never run gated, so can't compare it to that.

   you can search on shareware.com for it, but make sure you look under
dos, not windows.

mike

 --
 mike cullerton   [email protected]  970.224.3668