Re: WorldNIC

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Jun 09 17:44:00 1998

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 02:08:12PM -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > FOr example. Wouldn't it make more logical sense if there existed a domain
> > 'movie.com' with which movies were registered under?
>
> I quite agree that it would make more logical sense. It would also make
> more logical sense if all babies were assigned to a profession at birth
> and all Internet providers were licensed by the State Bandwidth Demand and
> Supply Board.

Huh?  Where'd _that_ come from?  I think his suggestion was a passable
one, to try and fit an observed reality into a (for the moment) fixed
taxonomy.  .movie would probably be a better solution, but we're not
going there (yet).

>                  But there is more to life than logic and "sense". Therefore
> I prefer a naming system that is diverse and chaotic and I'm confident
> that such a system would evolve into something that would be of more use
> to more people than a hierarchical taxonomy.

Might we say "flexible" instead?  What, precisely, are you suggesting?

Hierarchicality is almost forced by the architectural design of the
current implementation of DNS; and I got a hot scoop for you: you won't
get a flag day on DNS.

> Dream on. DNS is an addressing scheme just like "123 Any St., Anytown,
> USA". It does a job that needed to be done, more or less well. If you want
> something different then find people who will pay for it and build it. I
> suspect you will find that there is little demand and no money available
> to build a universal index of everything there is.

It would be you, would it not, who "wants something different"?

You're correct, making DNS into anything except a very coarse index is
infeasible.  But I don't see any reason to specifically _avoid_ using
DNS as at least a classification tool so people know what to expect
when they go somewhere.

We're veering far off-topic for NANOG here, quick; let's get back on
topic before everyone flies home.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com