Re: WorldNIC

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Jun 09 14:25:12 1998

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 10:50:52AM -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > But if any commercial enterprises are in .org, then NSI has (completely
> > unsurprisingly) been flouting it's own rules.
> > Again.
>
> Huh!?  Do you think that commercial enterprises in .org is something new!?
> I don't have the definitive answer as to when the first commercial
> enterprise registered in .org but in 1993, an ISP in Toronto named
> Internex Online registered io.org.

Ok.  You've merely proven my point.

> Why should the Internet be require to stuff the whole world into little
> pigeonholes in violation of the laws of physics?

Answering that question is the purported purpose of the entire NOI
process the NTIA has just gone through.  Alas, the work is being
shepherded by people who, in large part, are politicans and idiots,
rather than engineers, and _it is an engineering problem_.

How does providing different top level domains for different categories
of organizations "violate the laws of physics", Michael?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com