Re: $110,000 for Gated Source Code

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Tue Jun 09 02:42:26 1998

At 11:48 PM 6/8/98 -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Scott Mace wrote:
>
>> I think you would be suprised at the number of commercial networking
>> vendors that use GateD source code as the basis for their routing
>> protocol suite...
>
>And if they're going to sell products based on gated, they should be
>paying royalties to the Gated Consortium...but why should the average ISP
>that wants to try some of the features of gated 4.x be forced to put down
>a big chunk of change?  Many ISPs will have the attitude "if I have to
>spend X on gated, and still pay for the hardware and figure out the
>software, I'll just hand the money to Cisco and have one company to point
>fingers at if it doesn't work or breaks."

Actually, I'll just use 3.5.9 and point my corporate fingers at MERIT if it
doesn't work, or breaks. Further, if I have run-rime problems I may point
legal fingers that way, as well. Flemming *has* a point, since GateD is NSF
funded, it shouldn't be for-profit. I guarantee that my tax dollars are
already paying for it. Why should I pay extra?
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!