RE: Sprint's New ION products

  • From: Bret McDanel
  • Date: Thu Jun 04 15:27:57 1998

I dont think that is what was implied off their web page press release
(really easy to find, goto their page, goto press releases it should be the
first one or two :)

They said that they would provide online access, multiple voice calls,
faxes, etc at the same time on an existing telephone line (I read 'an
existing telephone line' to be a pair of wires, however they may be using 2
pair since most houses are wired with that)..

But you are supposed to get everything at the same time on the same wire..
Cable modems for the last mile wouldnt allow this..  xDSL wouldnt allow
this, at least not in its present implementation..

I think the marketing guys made a promise or two that they cannot yet
deliver (however the article did say that there were a few new patents on
this technology, which means that its new and buggy more than likely :)

---Reply on mail from Doug Stanfield about Sprint's New ION products

> "100 times faster"  is also the language used by the cable companies and
> vendors of MCNS cable modems to describe their products.  $200 price
> point and retail availability are also part of that business model.  The
> "up to" might mean cable modems are one of a number of alternatives
> being considered for the last mile.  Cisco has made a significant and
> apparently successful jump into the cable modem business so I suspect
> that's at least part of the plan.

---End reply
--
Bret McDanel                                    http://www.rehost.com
Realistic Technologies, Inc.                             973-514-1144

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer