ADSL & iLEC

  • From: Jonathan Arneault
  • Date: Wed Jun 03 17:55:35 1998

I just read (http://www.internews.com/isp-news/1998/06/0301-bell.html) that
Bell Atlantic is looking to finally roll out xDSL.  However, not as a
wholesale, unbundled service, but as an Internet service which will directly
compete against ISPs.

While I do believe that BA and the rest of the iLECs have the right to
compete in their market, I don't think they should have the right to put
private, unsubsidized businesses out of business by using their utility
based advantages.  Additionally, how is it that a "regulated monopoly" is
able to transit service outside of the LATA (such as is required with
Internet service)?  IS this Bell's way of getting into LD, through packet
switching?

Does anyone know, now that BA has announced that they will provide ADSL
internet services, if they provide a similar, tarriffed, unbundled xDSL
service by which a local, regional or national ISP could provide a
competitively priced service? How does a ten million dollar a year company
serve in a market with a 10 billion dollar a year company? Is there a way
for us "little guys" to compete against the behemoths?  Has anyone had
similar experiences with their primary iLEC (such as PACBell and US West)?

Hoping for good news,
Jonathan Arneault
Director of Business Development
CMA / INet Solutions Division