Who runs the net

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Tue Jun 02 18:31:51 1998

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Now, even at this late date, it seems to me that many people, some in
> positions of power over the stuff we do here, still think that the
> folks who run the net are a bunch of asocial geeks and nerds who can't
> play nice together.

The folks on this list don't run the net. They just operate the equipment
that runs one of the private networks that forms a portion of the
Internet. They don't necessarily even make all of the policy decisions for
that one network that they do operate. This is a plumbers list, not the
municipal water board list.

> Anyway, my point is: if we, as the keepers of the bits, give the
> appearance that we can't keep our own sandbox clean, when someone is so
> clearly violating the rules which pertain to that portion of it, what
> appearance does that give of us to "outsiders", who may be listening in,
> about our ability to do the job we actually get paid for.

They're probably wondering why those plumbers don't solve the problem with
a piece of lead pipe. Of course they fail to realize that most of the
plumbers are wearing earplugs and are wondering what all the fuss is
about.

> I've changed the subject line so people who aren't interested in this
> thread can can it.

Darn! Me too.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: [email protected]