Jim Fleming and procmail

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Jun 02 13:06:57 1998

I wrote:
> >To whom do I go to file a formal request to filter Jim Fleming's
> >postings from this mailing list?

And half a dozen people who apparently think I just fell off the turnip
truck wrote back to me to suggest...

On Mon, Jun 01, 1998 at 05:11:30PM -0700, Mark Milhollan wrote:
> Procmail?

Some were more creative than others, actually giving suggestions that,
since I could feed them into my router (well, if my router were a
Cisco, instead of an Ascend), were at least on topic:

On Mon, Jun 01, 1998 at 09:18:36PM -0400, Eric Germann wrote:
> Best one I've seen is
> ip route 207.32.128.0 255.255.224.0 Null0
> If the net did it, his mail would go away.  Or maybe we should classify him
> as spam and get him in the RBL.  Does Merit participate in that?
> Hmmmmmmmm....

Some were smarmy:

On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 11:35:43AM +0900, just me. wrote:
> `man procmailex`
> Note the flag jamie set in the Subject: line.
> HTH. HAND.

Some just suggestive:

On Mon, Jun 01, 1998 at 11:05:31PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Your own .procmailrc?

And some a bit more loquacious than others:

On Mon, Jun 01, 1998 at 08:05:38PM -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> Well, I filed the request with my Eudora Filtering sub-system ... instant
> gratification! Jim Flemming and Jeff Williams both now occupy the /Misc
> Politicks/Bulkmeister folder and status get auto reverted to "Read". Since
> 5May98 Flemming has posted 262 messages, very few of them less than 5KB.
> I'm also tired of hearing about IPv8. Now I can read them when I have
> nothing better to do, or they actually say something pertinent.
>
> Personally, I don't agree with removing them from the list.

But none of them got the point I was trying to make.

Folks, this list is for network operations and related topics.  I don't
think there's anyone left out there (except Jim) who thinks that any of
the content of the message I was responding to is remotely on-topic for
this list...

which is read by quite a few members of the press.  I know; several of
them have written to me on different occasions for comment or
clarification of things I've written.

Now, even at this late date, it seems to me that many people, some in
positions of power over the stuff we do here, still think that the
folks who run the net are a bunch of asocial geeks and nerds who can't
play nice together.  While this is, in some cases, correct (:-), for
the most part, I've found that almost everyone on this list, at least,
is pretty easy to get along with... except Randy, of course.

<grin>

Anyway, my point is: if we, as the keepers of the bits, give the
appearance that we can't keep our own sandbox clean, when someone is so
clearly violating the rules which pertain to that portion of it, what
appearance does that give of us to "outsiders", who may be listening in,
about our ability to do the job we actually get paid for.

Sticking _my_ head in the sand isn't going to do a thing about that,
and, having been here since about 1983, I'm sorta protective of this
here net.  No, I don't think Jim can singlehandedly kill the
Internet... but standards do have to start somewhere.

I've changed the subject line so people who aren't interested in this
thread can can it.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com