Re: Why does Sprint have address filters again?

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri May 29 19:16:42 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:

> > >Charging reasonable costs (ie: the kind of fee that the Driver License
> > >bureau charges, ergo, $10 or so) for the first ASN is reasonable.
> >
> > And the DMV breaks even on that, right?

> I don't care if its $50; even that's reasonable.
>
> $500 is punitive.

This really gets to the crux of the matter. How much does it cost for ARIN
to do the work that it needs to do? How should we divide the costs up
amongst the various fees? How much extra should be charged over costs to
allow for growth, and for unforseen future costs?

It has always been public knowledge that ARIN would review its costs after
the first year and reduce its fees if they prove to be to high. Only half
a year has passed so far. While it can be lots of fun to speculate on the
fee structure using real dollar amounts I think we have to be careful to
remember that in the absence of actual lower costs, a reduction in any one
fee has to be accompanied by an INCREASE in some other fee. And even if
the fee structure itself is left unchanged, all fees will be decreased if
there is a real difference between estimated and actual costs.

Personally, I'd rather keep the focus of these discussions away from money
and specific dollar figures because it tends to obscure the real goals of
ARIN which are to do a darn good job of allocating/registering the unique
numbers that are absolutely critical to the Internet's operational
infrastructure. IMHO, quality of ARIN's services should come first. If we
can increase quality and simultaneously decrease costs, then that is great
but you can't provide top quality service without top quality employees.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: [email protected]