Re: Why does Sprint have address filters again?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Fri May 29 17:04:25 1998

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 03:48:54PM -0400, Avi Freedman wrote:
> > It requires $100 worth of someone's time to make two phone calls and/or read
> > two signed service agreements?
> >
> > Perhaps if ARIN is paying their people $100/hour, yes.
> >
> > (This is a CLERK's job)
>
> Really?  You're going to educate clerks about IP transit?
> How interesting.

You need to be educated to ask if someone is going to be announcing routes
and note the answer?

This is a "matrix" problem Avi.  If A + B then YES.

> > I disagree strongly on the "resistor" argument, at least for the initial
> > assignment.  Bottom line - if you're announcing networks, you need an ASN.
> > If you're not, you don't.  Demonstrate that someone is going to allow you
> > to announce networks, and you get one.
> >
> > If you want a SECOND one for administrative convenience or whatever, now for
> > THAT I can see charging a significant fee.  Why?  Because its not *necessary*
> > for you to have a second one.  You might WANT a second ASN, you might in
> > fact want several of them for policy routing reasons, but that's not the
> > same thing as a NEED for a second (or subsequent) ASN.
>
> So, what's the criteria?  Make a proposal.  I don't have a strong problem
> with charging more for 2nd and subsequent ASNs, but I also think charging
> something for the reg service is reasonable.
>
> > Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
>
> Avi

Charging reasonable costs (ie: the kind of fee that the Driver License
bureau charges, ergo, $10 or so) for the first ASN is reasonable.

Charging a lot more (say, $1,000) for the second and subsequent ASNs (or
even an increasing fee, say $1k per ASN, so the second is $1k, the third
$2k, etc) is also reasonable.  Why?  Because there are ways to skin the cat
that don't require this, and if you're going to use more than a trivial
amount of a limited resource then a "resistor" is reasonable on that use.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV