RE: flat vs non-flat charging

  • From: Bill St. Arnaud
  • Date: Fri May 29 14:06:17 1998

Jerry:

You are absolutely right.  I have pulled together some numbers on public
pricing for long haul WDM (including right of way) showing that if you out
IP over WDM the cost of bandwidth drops by a factor of 100 to 1000.  On
local loops it is more dramatic - with new WDM technology from companies
like Cambrian and Ciena gigabit ethernet or OC-48 SONET on a 5km local loop
should cost about $2500 per YEAR.

A number of our regional networks have already pulled their own fiber and
our realizing these costs in the real  world.

Fibre - $4 to $6 per meter
      20 year economic life and 10% maintenance per year
      48 strands NZDSF
Right of way $0 -$10 per meter per year (up to $200 per meter on long haul)
but
    common solution is to offer right way owner free use of a couple of
strands instead of paying cash
Installation $25 per meter underground in cities
      $6 per meter on poles (maintenance costs 20% year)
Twenty year amortized cost with 10% cost of money plus maintenance plus
right of way costs at $10/year per meter
  $17 per year per meter for 48 strands
  $1.50 per year per meter per strand
   $.50 per year per meter per wavelength
A 5 km OC-48 local loop should cost about $2500/year

Bill

Bill St Arnaud
Director Network Projects
CANARIE