Re: The Great Exchange

  • From: Miquel van Smoorenburg
  • Date: Fri May 29 13:37:31 1998
  • Newsgroups: lists.nanog

In article <[email protected]>,
Perry E. Metzger <[email protected]> wrote:
>There is no good long term reason for metered internet usage at the
>end user level, and there is also considerable market pressure against
>it.

OK, NANOG means North American ... etc, but do you have _any_ idea
what connectivity _to_ the US costs?

"The" internet backbone has traditionally been the USA. So foreigners
payed for a line to connect to the US and the US got connectivity to
Europe, Japan etc basically for free. But that is changing.

So for high speed access to destinations outside a country one would
need to meter that. With 28k8 access, there's no real need, but once
an end user gets the possibility to use his 2Mbit/sec ADSL line to
download at full speed from, say, Europe, you're looking at a different
picture.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    [email protected]  |   eventually eliminating it.