Re: INTERNIC Question

  • From: Mark Kosters
  • Date: Fri May 29 12:28:31 1998

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 11:27:13PM -0500, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
> - Why isn't there a simple connection-oriented protocol in place for
>   communicating this stuff instead of using email and templates? I asked
>   this question around last August of Network Solutions, and they said
>   "Real Soon Now". Hasn't happened yet. I've given up hope on it.

It is actually been deployed and is being used by both worldnic and microsoft's
business server product. However, with the winds of the change occurring over
internet governance, it seems like the registrar/registry thing is the way to
go so there as been more effort spent towards the InterNIC separating these
functions as of late.

> - Why can't they tag their email in a machine-readable manner? Tacking on
>   a single -reliable- header (X-InterNIC-Data: or some such) which
>   contains machine-parsable information about the message would be a
>   godsend for people trying to build tracking schemes like this.

I personally think that this header thing is a good idea. But, NSI mgmt needs
to hear it from you.  If you think there is a real need for this or any
other ideas, please contact the head of customer programs - Chuck Gomes
([email protected]).

Regards,
Mark

--

Mark Kosters              [email protected]        +1 703 925 6874
                  InterNIC Registration Services