Re: The Great Exchange

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri May 29 12:19:17 1998

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 06:58:06AM +0000, Michael Shields wrote:
> > Because that has been the primary driver to date of the kind of growth
> > the Internet has undergone.
>
> Mature markets and new markets behave differently.  $19.95 unlimited
> dialup was a big factor in 1995 and much less so now.

WHat the number is is less so, but I think the mass inxodus (opposite
of exodus, no? :-) to AOL when they wen tflat rate gives the lie to
this theory.

> I don't see any theory or evidence that they are going away or being
> marginalized.  You will always have to deal with them.  It's in their
> interest to be sure that the pricing is fair.  I think pricing based
> on the actual destination makeup of your traffic is more fair than pricing
> based on the assumption that your traffic is like everyone else's.

It may well be "more fair", but that doesn't mean it will be more
popular.  People are used to a flat rate internet, at whatever level,
at least in the US, and while I'm aware that that's a horribly
Americocentric view, a) we do have the hight penetration on the planet,
by a wide margin, and b) this _is_ _NA_NOG.

It's also worth noting that the penetration of the Internet at the
retail dial up level is much higher in areas with flat rate local
service.

> I could be wrong, and I'd be happy to be shown why.  But I think
> distance-pricing has a sound basis, even if it never materializes in
> the market.

Didn't say I didn't think it was sound... but see my next reply.

> > and the "big 5" would be _really_ pissed off.  Good.
>
> You think ultrabackbones are doomed?  Why?

Frankly, I think that they violate some of the fundamental
architectural principles on which the Internet is based, because it is
in their commercial best interests to do so.  If they connected lots of
little local exchanges, I'd be happier, but the way things are now, all
the packets end up on the shelf at one of the 4 naps...

But I've banged this drum enough this week, I'm told.  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com