Re: ingress filtering

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Fri May 29 08:55:43 1998

At 02:32 PM 5/28/98 -0400, John Fraizer wrote:
<SNIP>

Rant trimmed for brevity

</SNIP>

>When a Winblows box does a DNS lookup, for some reason, it will also send a
>NETBIOS name service request thinking that there is a WINS resolver living
>at the same IP.  It's just another example of MS doing very strange things.
>(Read: They don't know $h!t about IP and show it regularly!)

Actually it has nothing to do with WINS.  If all the ISP's would implement
solid in-addr.arpa reverse mappings, this would go away.  Microsoft's DNS
resolver has been extended, when DNS lookups fail, to do a reverse NETBIOS
query against the target machine so it can use its name when displaying
stuff via NBTSTAT, etc.  It was designed this way, before the Internet
became popular.

Before we all rant at MS, I suggest we all read RFC's 1001 and 1002 and
UNDERSTAND NetBIOS over IP, before we blame ALL the worlds ills on MS.
Last I knew, they weren't written by MS.

RFC 1001-> http://answerpointe.cctec.com/notes/rfcs1/254e_1e2.htm

RFC 1002-> http://answerpointe.cctec.com/notes/rfcs1/2e46_1e2.htm

Author(s): Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, End-to-End Services
Task Force, Internet Activities Board, NetBIOS Working Group

>-------
>John Fraizer    (root)          |    __   _                 |
>The System Administrator        |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
>mailto:[email protected]       |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
>http://www.EnterZone.Net/       | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
>                     A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...

Eric Germann                         Computer and Communications Technologies
[email protected]                                        Van Wert, OH 45891
                                                          Phone: 419 968 2640

http://www.cctec.com                                        Fax: 419 968 2641
Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider