Re: PC Bozo's World bites again (CNN, too)

  • From: Darrell Fuhriman
  • Date: Thu May 28 17:11:05 1998

Michael Dillon <[email protected]> writes:

> I don't think so. They even said in their article that the technical
> details are based upon this URL
> http://www.sns-access.com/%7Enetpro/maxmtu.htm
> and this guy says stuff like:
>
>     And, it turns out, depending on how your ISP and other routers
>     encountered on the Internet handle your TCP/IP requests, that a MaxMTU
>     setting of 576, often referred to as the "Internet Standard", will in
>     many cases avoid the fragmentation of packets of data and the slow
>     transfer speeds which result.

He used to be one of my users, at two different ISPs, in fact.  I
had a long drawn out disagreement about how this was wrong, and
mathematically didn't make any sense.

However, lots of people have confirmed that it really does
help... which leads me to accept Karl's explanation.

We shouldn't expect anymore from microsoft, really.

Darrell