Re: 165.138.0.0

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu May 28 14:57:36 1998

>This provides the greates redundancy for our customers.  Sprint's policy
>does not apply to customer routes so they do not filter at the /16 level
>for classic B addresses.  (They do for everybody else though....)

Tell me once again, what is Sprint's justification for applying these
filters to everyone else?

If it is for a noble purpose to save the entire Internet from collapse,
why isn't it a good idea for Sprint's customers to do the same?

If it is for anti-competitive reasons, to encourage people to buy
service directly from Sprint to get around the filters, then I'm willing
to offer identical terms and conditions for non-customers.  Neither
IHETS nor SPRINT is a DRA customer.

Doesn't the State of Indiana have a competitive bidding system?  Isn't
it possible that one day, IHETS may no longer be a customer of Sprint?

>we'll re-announce the /16 from at least one of the POPs.  But in order to
>make sure the /16 is always routable we'll have to advertise it from
>every POP that has a /20 or /19 sub address.  Otherwise if the one POP
>advertising the /16 goes down our customers on the noted networks will
>loose connectivity to your network.  (We'll also have to put in a /16
>static route to overide the null0 that BGP will inject into our routing
>tables.)  It was much cleaner to just advertise the /19's and /20's
>without the /16 but we can (and I guess will have to unless you change
>your filters) do it the other way.

By cooperating with your upstream ISPs, you can use several methods,
such as proxy aggregation, announcing more specifics inside SPRINT, and
only announcing the larger block elsewhere, you can achieve a high
degree of reliability without propagating tiny CIDR blocks world-wide.

Why does Sprint have these filters?

Once again, I'd be happy to change my filters on the same terms and
conditions as SPRINT.  SPRINT could become a customer of DRA.  SPRINT
could change their filters to not apply to non-customers.  IHETS could
become a customer of DRA.  There are lots of alternatives.  But if
prefix-length filters are a good idea, they should be a good idea for
everyone.  Otherwise it is hypocritical to only apply them to non-customers?