Re: Why does Sprint have address filters again?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Thu May 28 14:53:41 1998

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 10:40:03AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 08:08:57PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> [ Karl asks a bunch of cogent questions and then scares the shit out of
>   me by following up with: ]
> > [This is a request as an ARIN AC member, who has tried to get a lot of
> > these kinds of questions answered from officers and trustees of ARIN]
>
> Would it be out of line for me to ask why you are having so much
> difficulty _getting_ answers to these questions that you need to ask
> them here?  This whole ARIN thing is starting to smell somewhat like the
> InterNIC does...

ARIN has asserted that individual members (and in fact individual AC members)
don't have a right to have these types of questions answered.

It is my counter-assertion that IF ARIN is going to act as a custodian of
an essential facility (which it is), in the public interest (which is
currently open and in debate), that not only do the AC and membership have
these rights, but the general public has the right to full transparency
within ARIN's operation.

IMHO the network operators within ARIN's "sphere of influence" should
consider "waking up" and making their opinions known about this and related
sets of issues having to do with IPv4 allocation.

If there is a set of "affected organizations" which should be fully aware
of and involved in this, its the NANOG group.

Two places to do so are "[email protected]", and "[email protected]",
which are the mailing lists for the membership and AC, respectively.

Those who find themselves embargoed from posting to either are welcome to
ask me to forward material for them; as both an AC member, and an ARIN
member, I have the right to post to both.

The only way the questions will be resolved is if the debate is deemed
important by those who are impacted by ARIN - which is, virtually without
exception, an intersecting set within the NANOG community.

It would also be a good idea to read the ARIN bylaws (available on their web
site) and note carefully the lack of any real, functional oversight by the
membership (ie: the membership cannot recall an AC member, a board member,
or a corporate officer, either directly or indirectly).

Then surf over to the CIX web site and read THEIR bylaws.  Compare the two,
and draw your own conclusions.

Both are, by the way, 501c(6) organizations.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcFrom [email protected]  Thu May 28 14:53:42 1998