RE: Cable & Wireless buys MCI Internet

  • From: Pete Farmer
  • Date: Thu May 28 13:21:06 1998

I've tried parsing the original press release
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/0
5-28-1998/0000666960&EDATE= .  Here's what I come up with.

Think of the services being provided as existing in three chunks: raw
transport, wholesale, and retail.  Under this deal,

1) MCI will continue to provide raw transport (think of it as Layer 1
stuff) for the traffic associated with its Internet wholesale
("backbone") services, at least for now.

2) C&W will take over (own) the routers, the connection agreements, and
the service agreements for providing wholesale services to ISPs.  Looks
like this applies worldwide.  C&W will be a customer of MCI for raw
transport.

3) MCI will continue to own the service agreements and be the service
provider to end users (to corporate customers for access and/or Web
hosting, plus dial-up internetMCI consumers.)  For some period (they say
2 years), MCI will be a customer of C&W for backbone services.

MCI and C&W bravely say in their press release that this deal "should
clear the way for the swift approval of the MCI WorldCom merger."  We'll
see.  I expect that the EC will require that C&W have an explicit "out"
on the transport piece (i.e. be able to take in-house or contract with
others for the big transport pipes as it chooses.)

Pete
Peter J. Farmer                    E-mail: [email protected]
Strategies Unlimited               Voice:  +1 650 941 3438
201 San Antonio Circle, Suite 205  Fax:    +1 650 941 5120
Mountain View, CA 94040            WWW:    http://www.strategies-u.com