Re: The Great Exchange

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu May 28 00:53:17 1998

I feel a major rathole opening up, but when has that stopped me...

This seems logical, this seems to make sense.  And then we have
the hub-and-spoke model brought about by airline deregulation and
FEDEX.  There you have an entire industries built out of moving
people and goods from end points to central sorting facilities
and then back out to their destinations.  Think of O'Hare as a
the MAE-East of the FAA.AIRNET.

Yes, I know there are no 'pure' examples.  Even FEDEX tries to
intercept local packages before they get on the planes, and route
them via local trucks.  Like most things, there isn't a 'pure'
answer.  It is efficient to have a few (we can argue over the
number, 3 NAPs seems to small for today's Internet) hubs.  But
it is also efficient to try to intercept local traffic, and handle
it locally (local exchange, caching, etc).

Of course, living in the St. Louis TWA hub city, you may understand
why I don't always think letting a single carrier domainant a hub
is a great idea.