Re: PC Bozo's World bites again (CNN, too)

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Wed May 27 21:25:42 1998

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 03:13:53PM -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> Check http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9805/26/net.access.idg/index.html
>
> Those bozos are suggesting to reduce MTU from 1500 to 576
> to "improve performance", so packets "won't fragment in
> backbones"!  The bright idea to fix CTS/RTS setting didn't
> come along in their brilliant minds.
>
> Here goes the average packet size.  Down the drain...
>
> Now what do we do to control the damage?
>
> I also think it's a good time to measure the gullibilty of
> the general public by measuring packet size distribution :)
>
> --vadim

Yes, doing this really does work, and really does improve performance - for
Win95.  The reason it does has nothing to do with fragmentation (they got
that part wrong); the reason has to do with poor handling of larger packets
in the IP stack and what I can only consider to be bugs in their code.

Cut the MTU, get rid of the problem, and the system "seems" faster on the
Internet.  The reason is that you aren't dropping frames on the floor
any longer.

Does it suck in REALITY for the network packet size averages?  Yes.

Does this have anything to do with CTS/RTS and flow control?  Nope.  Its a
genuine, no-bullshit, honest-to-god probelm in the code that is worked around
by doing this.

Go talk to Mister Softee about the millions of copies of Win95 that are out
there IP stacks that make this an "optimization".  But until then, expect it
to be done, because it really does make the connection work better.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV