Re: The Great Exchange

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Wed May 27 15:57:49 1998

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 01:44:08PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > 1) More needs to be done to leverage locality of traffic
>
> In the long run, why are we assuming there will be locality of
> traffic?
>
> It is true that the old PSTN has locality of traffic, but it doesn't
> have flat rate pricing, or the usage patterns that the Internet has. I
> argue that users are rarely more likely to be trying to download a web
> page from near to their homes than from far away. If there is
> locality, it is probably weak, and in the long run would only account
> for a fraction of the traffic.

The Web is Not The Net.

Please write that 100K times on your blackboard.  (PS: no, you _can't_
use expect(1l) :-).

The fact, however, that you're correct in your implication that it's
difficult to prove how much traffic would be geographically local given
the routing technologies currently available is why I was going to slip
the peering in under the rug of selling the transit -- which everyone
seems to be telling me won't work.

On another point, it's worth noting that, _currently_, all the "good"
servers are somewhere else... but this won't be the case forever.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com