Re: Suggestion for improved identD

  • From: Paul Mansfield
  • Date: Thu May 21 10:25:37 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 01:19:41PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > When I implemented the forced ident setup, if a user had a static IP, then
> >
> > The idea here is not to provide a username. Its to provide a method of
> > identifying a dialup user, in a way that doesn't change with each login.
>
> Ok, I almost like this.
>
> The only problem I can see is when the dynamic dialup user is still a
> linux box... but in that case, the administative control _still_ vests

could the ident be intercepted, so that the ident result from the dialler
was retagged? tricky...

in just the same way that adding SMTP or NNTP headers allows additional
tracking but doesn't prevent the originator of news or mail from supplying
their own.

Paul
----
P Mansfield, Senior SysAdmin PSINet, +44-1223-577577x2611/577611 fax:577600