Re: Suggestion for improved identD

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Thu May 21 01:25:45 1998

Jon Lewis writes:
>On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ehud Gavron wrote:
>
>> Suggestion:	PPP access devices intercept identD requests
>> 		and return the authenticated access string.
>>
>> Thoughts appreciated, as are comments, flames, blames, and anything
>> of some content.
>
>Not every dialup connection is a single end luser on a win95 box.  What
>about ISDN connections where there's a whole network of real computers and
>different users (on each computer)?  How does the NAS decide which
>connections to intercept for and which not to?  Even if you knew the
>username, what good will it do you 1000 miles away?  Those providers who
>care can fine the user if you tell them the IP and time of day.  Those who
>don't care won't care if you tell them "I was spammed by
>[email protected]".

Its more of blocking services.

When I implemented the forced ident setup, if a user had a static IP, then
the ident was passed through. Only if they were a dynamic IP dialup client
would the ident be forced.

The idea here is not to provide a username. Its to provide a method of
identifying a dialup user, in a way that doesn't change with each login.
Since most things already query ident, then why not go this path and make
ident 'trusted' on dynamic IP NAS connections?

Adrian