Re: Suggestion for improved identD

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu May 21 00:27:19 1998

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ehud Gavron wrote:

> Suggestion:	PPP access devices intercept identD requests
> 		and return the authenticated access string.
>
> Thoughts appreciated, as are comments, flames, blames, and anything
> of some content.

Not every dialup connection is a single end luser on a win95 box.  What
about ISDN connections where there's a whole network of real computers and
different users (on each computer)?  How does the NAS decide which
connections to intercept for and which not to?  Even if you knew the
username, what good will it do you 1000 miles away?  Those providers who
care can fine the user if you tell them the IP and time of day.  Those who
don't care won't care if you tell them "I was spammed by
[email protected]".

 Jon Lewis <[email protected]>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.