Re: The questions stand

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Wed May 20 16:59:07 1998

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 12:57:18PM -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
> adjusting things like trunk capacity. At this point we appear to be
> attempting to collapse the entire Internet into an exchange point fabric
> which is doomed to failure. In some ways, private interconnects appear to

Am I _still_ the only one banging on the "Geographical Locality Of
Reference" drum?

OF _COURSE_ you're going to have trouble if you try to stuff half the
internet through a router in the basement of a parking grage in
Pennsauken.

The problem is that the majors want to sell all the hoses at (ISP)
retail, and they want to back haul all their traffic to some big
exchange somewhere.

Economies of scale don't scale.

If they could be happy selling OC3 and 12's to local exchanges, and let
_them_ sell the damned connectivity at "ISP retail", all the local
traffic would stay _local_, and I strongly suspect that the rest of the
big exchanges might start _working_.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com