Re: Suggestion for improved identD

  • From: Edward S. Marshall
  • Date: Tue May 19 23:14:47 1998

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ehud Gavron wrote:
> Suggestion:	PPP access devices intercept identD requests
> 		and return the authenticated access string.

Reasonable idea in -some- network settings.

> Methods:	1: identD v2, new port, intercepted by access devices
> 		   which support it.

Bad choice. Time to adoption would kill the idea. We're already on a
second run of the AUTH protocol as it is. ;-)

> 		2: modification to hosts requirement RFCs, making
> 		   access devices responsible for intercepting identD
> 		   requests to their PPP clients.
>
> 		3: a security RFC ``suggesting'' 1 or 2

Both a bad idea. This is not something necessary in most settings; some
people are simply not interested in giving up this information. I'd oppose
any such attempt to make it a host requirement.

Read the auth/ident protocol RFC: the data retrieved using it is
inherently untrustable, and cannot be relied upon to be even remotely
correct. In some circumstances, you may not even be able to determine what
the information means; that identification information may have absolutely
no meaning to you since you have no control over how the network you
retrieved the information from operates.

However, the idea does have merits for closed environments, or for open
environments which desire accountability for their dialup users when
dealing with external abuse or bug reporting.

I would recommend a slightly more sophisticated approach, however: a
semi-configurable identd running on the terminal server, which either:

a) returns the auth'd data, or

b) hands the request off to a server running on another machine, which
   can do interesting things with the information before returning a
   response.

The reason for this is that this idea would need to be adopted by NAS
vendors; frankly, I don't trust them to get the implementation right, and
would rather they just proxy the request to me, along with the necessary
host and internal authentication information, which I can then process in
my own way, and return what -I- consider to be a unique identifier for
that user.

But frankly, a timestamp and an IP address are all the "unique identifier"
you need for tracking down an abuser on any relatively modern network
doing a reasonable level of logging.

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

   Linux labyrinth 2.1.101 #2 SMP Sun May 10 22:34:20 GMT 1998 i586 unknown
        9:55pm up 1 day, 23:26, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.15